Search this blog

05 September 2017

The Spice of Life


The fourth challenge for #ITAC2017 was to create a piece of artwork,
using whatever format or techniques we wanted,
taking inspiration from Africa
& to include one or more of the following;

Warm, bright colours 
Repeated ethnic patterns
Charms, pearls, metallic wire…
Words or text
Textures, cracks, rust effect...
Throughout this tournament
I am working in a small handmade paper book.


I decided to go for bright colours,
text & texture.

When I think of Africa I think of Morocco,
straight back to two wonderful visits there.

The inspiration for my piece were the photographs taken during those visits.

It felt good to browse through those images,
bringing fond memories back to life
& seeing others that I had forgotten about.

My piece is entitled

Spice of Life


Both visits to Morocco were in the month of September.

They were a doorway to a different world,
one full of colour,
with new tastes & exotic aromas,
from the dyed fabric drying overhead in the souk,
to the market stalls laden with produce,
the bright flowers in bloom,
the pyramids of spices 
& sacks full of vivid pigment.

Morocco
I created a digital collage from my original photographs,
splashed Distress Ink (spiced marmalade) over my page,
made a paper flower embellishment from another photograph,
added a piece of ribbon (to remind me of the blue skies)
& a word cut out from a calendar.