Search this blog

16 January 2015

It's not the Destination but the Journey


My dylusions creative journal has finished it's long journey
all the way from New York, USA
to me here in England, UK.

I have followed each stage of it's journey with an increasing level of excitement.
It has already been to places that I have never seen or experienced.

In a way it has lead me to my overarching theme for this year,
which is to focus on my creative journey.

January's main art journal theme is about finding ways to tackle the "blank page".

I have started my journal with a double page spread for week 12.

Week 1
Week 2

The Art Challenges this month are
  1. to use book paper 
  2. to use gesso
& the Journal Prompts are
  1. Be your own goal keeper 
  2. "The Beginning is Always Today" - a quote by Mary Shelley
So following the challenges, I first covered the blank pages with book paper,
then a layer of gesso. Once dry, I added some colour & embellishments.

I am always thrilled when, purely serendipitously,
I create something with extra meaning,
as in one of the hearts I cut from the book paper.
Not only did it have the word heart on it,
but also twelvemonth,
a good start for this year long project.

My serendipitous journey

Following the prompts, I have listed my personal goals on the back of this tag,
which fits inside the envelope pocket.

My Creative Goals

The words are taken from a poem by Susan Coolidge.

Inspiration quote by Susan Coolidge

I have used book print, gesso, acrylic paint (Rose/Orchid/Pistachio), a manilla envelope, dymo tape, printed text, elements from 7 Dots Studio, rubber stamps from PaperArtsy & Tim Holtz,
black distress ink, black pen, pencils
& a word definition torn from an old dictionary.