Search this blog

11 May 2011

Home Sweet Home

The prompt this month for the GPP Street Team Crusade set by Michelle
is Home Sweet Home.


I have continued to work in the same board book as the past two crusades,
which is a dimensional book from Eco Green Crafts.


In case, dear reader, you have been wondering,
the dimensions of the board book are four inches by four inches.

You can now appreciate the scale of the pieces involved,
especially those used this month.


To start the crusade this month, I created a fabric noticeboard,
using a leftover piece of Laura Ashley fabric from a cushion I made a few years back.

Under the fabric are two pieces of funky foam with a mountboard backing.

The foam enabled me to give dimension to the noticeboard
especially when attaching the gingham ribbon with the rocaille beads.


I used copies of old family postcards & photographs,
a copy of the Land Registry plan for one of the properties,
a cat charm (home isn't home without a cat) & a small set of keys.


Whilst thinking about the prompt for the crusade this month,
I realised that I couldn't remember the addresses of all the places where I have lived,
so the main focus of my project was to document the details
& record memories associated with each address.


I opted for a Bingo card style of tag,
using an old image from Abbie at Percy & Bloom,
the luminous digital texture from Kim Klassen
& a clip art image of a house. I also used a butterfly image from Dover
& a label image provided by Michelle to tie this project to the others.


The tags live in a pocket created from patterned paper
from K & Company designed by Brenda Walton.


Each tag has a label denoting the number of each address.

The labels are adhered on one side, so the road name can be read on the reverse.


The pattern on the reverse of the tag is taken from the Land Registry document already mentioned.


Finally, I will write down positive memories of living at each address.

Such as the house that I was born in,
the address where we had a strawberry patch at the bottom of the garden,
where my father kept caterpillars feeding them nettles
until the day we released them into the garden as beautiful butterflies,
the address where I could go gathering fresh walnuts, cob nuts, crab apples & blackberries
or play happily in the stream or climb trees ...