Search this blog

10 August 2010

Shabby Rosette

This is my version of the Tim Holtz Paper Rosette.


Instead of using the Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die, I cut a strip of his Big Rulers paper & cut one edge using a pair of deckle edged scissors.


Using the grid lines printed on the back (Thank you Tim!) I lightly scored each line, then folded them in alternate directions.

I punch out a circle using a Woodware paper punch to create the centre, adhering it to a circle of mountboard to give it structure.


I lightly sanded the edges to add a little shabby distress to the rosette.

It might not be as quick as using his die, but it didn't take too long.

06 August 2010

In the Frame

This week's project was to alter an old frame. This one, probably over ten years old, was a gift from a friend from their trip to Disneyland. Let's just say it was Eeyore & purple ... I think that's enough to give you an idea of what it was like!

It is four inches square with a photograph aperture 2 inch square, so it was perfect to house my Steampunk Twinchie.


I removed the glass & covered the frame, front & back, with papers designed by Brenda Walton from K & Company.

I used one of the hinges from the back to act as a tab to hold the twinchie in it's place.

I printed two copies of the moth (used in the twinchie) to create the dimensional moth, adding wire antenna.


The words are torn from one of the patterned papers with two epoxy stickers from the same kit.


I added a clock face from my hardware stash.


As with most of my projects, I like the reverse to look as good as the front.


And the sides!


I used double-sided tape, Glossy accents & a little Distress Ink (walnut stain).


04 August 2010

Art Journal Text

The crusade this month for the GPP Street Team is to use printed text to create a background.


I took a loose blank page from my handmade art journal & covered the white surface with a story torn from a magazine. The text background was then covered with bold words cut from two magazine supplements that came with the Sunday papers.

I used matte multi-medium to both adhere & coat the project. The rough edges were trimmed & then lightly sanded.

The background will be used to complete a future crusade.