Search this blog

11 April 2008

Abstract Art

Following the card I posted yesterday, I had several comments about how different it was from the norm. I trust they were referring to the card & not me.

I took a considered look at it & could see that it didn’t look like a birthday card at all. None of the usual florals & pretty colours, no ribbon & bows, no Happy Birthday text. It was very abstract.

So that got me thinking. What is abstract?

Abstract is one of those words which if you say it aloud a few times, it begins to sound like a nonsense word. Try it; you’ll see what I mean.

So what is abstract art? Well to me is it something which does not resemble anything found in our normal day-to-day lives. Even if you squint at it, turn your head to view it at different angles or even turn the item upside-down, it will remain a mystery.

It may, however, evoke memories or emotions. The colour, form or texture may act as a trigger & it is this that you use to judge the object.

Above all though, it will always raise questions. Do I like it? Do I understand it? What does it mean? What was the artist trying to say? And for fellow artists, there’s the obvious question of “Could I do that?” & the usual rhetorical one of, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

In the current context, I can hear a chorus of “Actually, we can do better than that”.

And I’m sure you all can :o)